We all know the idyllic Bay Area scene of the Golden Gate Bridge over the water and birds soaring through the sky. But, some of these birds are likely pest birds, and pest birds are far from idyllic. Some of the most common pest birds in the San Francisco Bay Area include:
Pigeons – Wild pigeons are the most popular urban pest bird. They will nest and roost pretty much anywhere.
Problems Caused By Pest Birds In The San Francisco Bay Area
Pest birds are such a common occurrence in urban settings like San Francisco that most people don’t really pay much attention to them. But it may be time to give them a second glance. There are a number of ways in which pest birds can be dangerous. In fact, here are some of the consequences to keep in mind when it comes to pest bird activity:
- The acid in their urine can damage metals and other surfaces.
- They build nesting sites and damaging the structure of the property.
- They can collide with aircrafts and cause engine failures and fires.
- They can transmit certain diseases to those that feed on them, increasing your exposure to sickness.
- They clog gutters and drains, leading to destructive water damage.
- They contribute to the buildup of debris that can cause mechanical failures.
- They leave behind droppings, feces, and urine. All of which will contaminate surfaces and pose health risks.
Businesses in particular need to be wary of bird infestation. Bird activity can be especially dangerous for commercial facilities because of the large amounts of food, water, and shelter they produce. Aside from the ample perching space, there are large dumpsters and accessible food sources available for unwanted pests.
Bird infestation undoubtedly deters customers from using your business, and it frightens employees away. It poses a threat to their health and safety, and it can be extensively destructive to your commercial property. Your reputation, your inventory, and the future of your business are greatly compromised, and an infestation can be very hard to come back from.
How To Keep Unwanted Birds Away From Your Property
Obviously, the best approach to bird infestation is to avoid them in the first place. If you want to get serious about your pest bird prevention efforts, here are few of the ways you can discourage pest birds from entering your property:
- Avoid feeding any pest birds.
- Block off and seal any openings, cracks, and crevices.
- Keep garbage cans covered and maintain cleanliness.
- Keep trees directed away from the structure of your property.
- Keep vegetation and landscaping well-trimmed.
- Reduce sources of standing water, like birdbaths and gutters.
These suggestions can go a long way in pest bird prevention, but the most effective and most reliable approach to bird control is enlisting the help of the professionals. Smith’s Pest Management is your go-to source for quality bird control solutions. Our team of experts knows how to detect bird activity, identify the species, and implement the perfect treatment plan for your particular situation.
We remove droppings, nests, feathers, and other contaminated areas. Through the use of disinfectants, we sanitize the area in order to eliminate any parasites and pathogens. Once all evidence of pest bird activity has been eliminated, we treat the area to keep them from coming back throughout the year. Contact us today to hear more about our bird exclusion services.