What is it that makes civilization civil and the wild, wild? It probably has something to do with the fact that humans are intelligent and have a basic set of morals. Animals, on the other hand, lack understanding and follow basic instincts to provide themselves the best opportunity to survive and thrive. This is best seen when wildlife finds their way onto properties. The question is, what should you do if you find a raccoon, groundhog, skunk, or other wild creature around your Monterey Bay property? Here is what we recommend.
The Reason Wildlife Invade Properties
Wild creatures typically prefer to live in the wild. That said, there are many enticing reasons for these pests to come onto area properties. One of the most common reasons wildlife invade yards is to find shelter. They find shelter inside of outbuildings, beneath porches, inside burrows, and in other secluded areas. Another reason wildlife comes onto properties is to find food. Pests like gophers and voles will chew on roots and eat vegetation out of gardens. Other creatures such as raccoons and rats will climb into trash cans and dumpsters to get a snack.
The Problems Wildlife Cause
Creatures that live out in the wild do not have access to quality health care services as we do. If they contract a dangerous disease, they have to live with it. This is a problem, as some diseases animals carry are transmittable to humans. The kicker is, they don’t have to bite you to get you sick. Many bacteria, pathogens, and parasites animals carry are spread through their fecal matter and urine. If creatures are sheltering close to your home, you run the risk of getting sick.
Another problem wildlife cause comes in the form of property damage. It is not uncommon for raccoons to tip over trash cans, for rats and mice to chew through walls, and for other larger creatures to tear up fencing, porches, pools, and ornate structures around your property. Some wildlife pests destroy gardens and cause damage to the greenery around properties.
Some Strategies To Deter Wildlife
If you are looking to prevent wildlife from coming onto your property, your goal should be to limit their reasons to invade. This is best done with these helpful exclusion and prevention tips.
- Install a fence around your garden and yard. For pests like gophers, make sure fences extend underground.
- Eliminate sources of water build-up after rainstorms.
- Make sure your gutters and drains are properly channeling water away from your home’s exterior.
- Fill in holes around your property.
- Repair damage to protective barriers around porches, decks, and other lifted areas.
- Address damage and entry points around your home’s exterior foundation, siding, roofline, and chimney.
- Keep your grass trimmed and clutter/debris to a minimum.
- Store firewood and lumber at least 30 feet from your home’s exterior.
- Make sure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
- Fix leaky piping and fixtures in and around your home.
The Only Guaranteed Solution To Wildlife Problems
If you are regularly having trouble with raccoons, groundhogs, or other wildlife pests around your Monterey Bay property, there is only one thing left for you to do. Hire the experts at Smith’s Pest Management. Our team specializes in wildlife control and offers a range of solutions to get and keep these pests off your property. With us on your side, you won’t have to worry about wild creatures bringing their problems near your home.
Contact our team now to discuss your options with one of our friendly service representatives.