When it comes to pest control, you get what you pay for. For those who trust unproven methods or cheap workarounds to prevention, an infestation is almost certain to strike your property. For those who are too busy to stay on top of pest control — which is common for small business owners — a pest population can strike at the worst time. Once inside, pests can cause direct damage to your property and hurt your bottom line.
Businesses Are Magnets For Pests
Pests are problems for commercial and residential properties alike, but businesses in particular provide everything that a pest needs to thrive: food, shelter and space to grow. Here are just some of the businesses that are magnets for pest invasions:
- Hospitals: As a place with ample bed and linens, hospitals are attractive to parasites like bed bugs. They also provide a place for infested people and items to gather and spread populations around.
- Hotels: Another place with lots of mattresses to infest, hotels also offer lots of food and water to all kinds of foraging pests.
- Factories: For pests that can take advantage of storage containers for shelter and can survive on scraps, like cockroaches, factories provide open spaces for populations to invade.
- Restaurants: Rodents and other pests that forage for crumbs and attack stored food are drawn to restaurants and food processing centers.
What Pests Harm Businesses?
Even if your business doesn’t fall into one of those categories, pests can still pose significant risks. Here are the types of pests most often associated with commercial infestations:
- Rodents: Mice and rats are the most common, and they will thrive off of the food, water, and shelter that businesses provide.
- Insects: There are all kinds of bugs that can invade your property, from disease-ridden cockroaches to damaging termites and ants.
- Spiders: Spiders may not need the food they might be able to find around a business, but that’s because they feed off other pests. As one population grows, a spider infestation is sure to rise up, too.
- Birds: We often don’t think of birds when we picture pest infestations, but nesting pigeons can damage important systems and their corrosive feces can damage your roof.
The Dangers Of Commercial Pests
No matter what kind of business you operate or what kind of pest might threaten it, it doesn’t take long for the adverse effects of an infestation to show themselves. Once a pest moves in, it can quickly lead to the following problems:
- Damage: Pests can chew through linens, damage electrical wiring, and contribute to squalor that damages your property.
- Disease: Many pests are known to spread dangerous diseases, like plague and salmonellosis. Not only are pathogens a concern, so are the parasites that pests might carry, too.
- Loss: As the damage and loss of reputation starts to take full effect, pest problems can quickly lead to a loss of business. This blow to revenue is more costly than simply addressing pest control the right way.
Protect Your Business With Professional Pest Control
When it comes to protecting your bottom line, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Proper pest control in the San Francisco Bay area not only protects your property, it defends your business from the worst problems that pests can cause. Rather than put it off or try to handle it on your own, trust the experts to handle pest prevention for your San Francisco Bay Area business. At Smith’s Pest Management, our trained staff can inspect your business for pests or problem areas that might attract them in. If problems are uncovered, we’ll work quickly to eliminate them before they can cause harm to your livelihood.
For proper protection from commercial pests, contact Smith’s Pest Management today.