When property owners in the San Francisco Bay Area and Monterey think of pests, they likely think of the typical ones like spiders and wasps. However, there is one pest that is often ignored despite their ability to potentially cause problems. That nuisance is none other than the squirrel.
- California ground squirrels: Also known as Beechey ground squirrels, this squirrel boasts a blend of gray, light brown, and dusky fur that has a mottled appearance. Unlike tree squirrels, this squirrel spends most of its time underground in tunnels and burrows of their own making. It’s been shown that the males of this species are quite territorial and won’t go beyond 150 yards from their burrow without good reason.
- Tree squirrels: This encompasses a broad class of squirrel that is often found running along the trees. They come in a range of colors ranging from gray to brown and are usually not a concern for property owners unless they make it into the attic or other location inside the home.
As a rule, squirrels are considered to be more of a nuisance than anything. However, that doesn’t mean they don’t present some very real dangers for property owners. Squirrels are known to cause significant damage to the home when they make their way inside. They belong to the rodent family, which means like other rodents they like to chew anything they come across. Besides the normal property damage, they also like to run along utility wires and cables. This action may short out transformers and cause blackouts if left unchecked.
More common with ground squirrels than tree squirrels, they also can tear up the landscaping thanks to the holes they dig in the yard. Plus, they like to eat everything from nuts to fruit, which makes gardening difficult for those who want to do so.
While not as common, squirrels can carry diseases and parasites like other members of the rodent family. As such, it’s best to bring in a pest control company trained in squirrel control to ensure the wellbeing of people on the premises.
Keep The Squirrels Away
Like any pest, squirrels don’t belong in the home and ideally shouldn’t make their home in your yard. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent squirrels from wanting to stick around. Make note of the following tips:
- Guard the food & water: This animal needs food and water like any other. Squirrels will find both naturally. However, you can help yourself by ensuring there isn’t standing water or pet food around the house that may attract them more than they should be.
- Preemptive gardening: Despite their love of nature and various plants, there are some that squirrels shy away from. Consider planting flowers that are either bright in color or produce a strong odor. Some examples would include daffodils, hyacinths, or geraniums.
- Exclusion work: By trimming branches near the house and placing PVC pipe over utility lines, you can make it less likely for squirrels to get inside your home.
- Professional squirrel control: The best thing you can do is to secure squirrel control services designed to exclude squirrels and remove any already on the property.
Squirrel Control With Smith’s Pest Management
Some of the telltale signs of a squirrel infestation include scratching or scampering noises. While this can apply to other rodents, the key is to identify where in the house the sounds are coming from. If you’re hearing them in attic, walls, or ceilings then it’s time to seek professional attention.
At Smith’s Pest Management, we make squirrel control easy thanks to our four steps, which are trapping, habitat modification, exclusion, and sanitation. Our customers know they can count on us for all of their pest concerns thanks to our commitment to superior customer service and unmatched results.