It can be really tempting to ignore ants on your property until they’re parading through your kitchen. Typically though, you’ll notice them a lot sooner than that. Whether they’re in the yard, the basement, or the garage, any number of ants should set off some alarm bells in your head.
The more you learn about the local ants that invade our San Jose homes, the more you’ll realize why prevention is an absolute necessity.
The Problem Ants Of San Jose
While there are dozens of different kinds of ants in the San Jose area, the most common include carpenter ants, fire ants, acrobat ants, black ants, and pharaoh ants. Unfortunately, these ants are also the most problematic. If you understand how to identify these ants and what could be attracting them to your property, then you might have a good chance of preventing an infestation.
- Carpenter ants: Measuring up to a half-inch long, these black ants are the largest of any ant species in the area. They’re also the most destructive. Nesting in the wooden portions of a home’s foundation, carpenter ants can do expensive damage on a property if given enough time to nest in multiple areas of the home.
- Fire ants: Typically dark red or brown in color, fire ants prefer to hang out in yards. They may not be the most destructive ant species, but they are a danger to your health. Along with painful stings, you might be subject to more severe health conditions such as anaphylactic shock in the event of an attack.
- Acrobat ants: These small black ants get their name from their ability to contort their bodies in different ways, allowing them to form long chains of ants or squeeze into small spaces. They are considered the most common nuisance ants in the San Jose area since they don’t present a threat to your home or health. However, they can become very difficult to get rid of if allowed to breed within your walls.
- Black ants: these are the typical ants you’ll see invading your home, and their small size makes them incredibly problematic. They’re so small that they’re almost impossible to keep out, and they’ll overrun your poorly stored food very quickly.
- Pharaoh ants: Light brown or red in color, these ants are just as small as black ants, but they can cause severe health issues in your home. Known carriers of dangerous bacteria, these invasive ants can cause serious illnesses if they come into contact with your stored food or meal-preparation areas.
Proper Prevention Methods
With all of the health problems and home damage at stake, focusing on ant prevention needs to be a priority. The best place to start is a deep clean. Since ants are attracted to food, you’ll want to limit access to crumbs. Wipe out your cupboards and clean off your counters and tables regularly. You’ll also want to clean the floors regularly and thoroughly, addressing areas like under appliances and furniture as well.
Store food and trash properly in receptacles and containers that ants won’t be able to squeeze through. Remember, many of these ants are tiny and very flexible, so many food storage practices fall short of preventing an issue.
Even though many of these ant species are small, sealing up cracks and crevices around the house can help you limit an infestation. Use silicone-based caulking around windows, weather-stripping around exterior doors, and check your screens for holes/tears.
While all of these methods can be effective, they can never guarantee you an ant-free home the way professional solutions can. The best form of ant control comes with professional assistance from Smith’s Pest Management. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment. We can get rid of your ant problems for good.