The new year is here and with it comes New Year’s resolutions. People are flocking to gyms, buying healthier foods and are more motivated than ever to better themselves. The question is, what are you doing to make 2021 better than last year? One of the best ways to improve your quality of life is by preventing rodents from invading your San Francisco Bay Area home. If you have never had trouble with these furry invaders in the past, we assure you it is not a pleasant experience. To make rodent prevention your New Year’s resolution, use these nine simple and effective tips around your San Francisco Bay Area property.
What You Need To Know About Rodents
Before we get into prevention, you should know a bit about the kinds of rodents that want to get into your home. Here in San Francisco, rats and mice are most common. These furry pests are known for their ability to cause trouble. Equipped with sharp and strong front incisor teeth, mice and rats will chew on anything in sight. This becomes particularly problematic when a wall or something important, like a group of wires or utility pipe, is in their way. On top of being destructive, rodents are also dangerous with the way they transmit disease-causing organisms. Inside homes, they spread these sickness vectors over counter tops, kitchen tables, and around food storage areas. If you ever find yourself cleaning up after a rodent infestation, make sure to use the proper safety equipment.
Factors That Attract Rodents
Rodents, like most other creatures, only need three things to survive: food, water, and shelter. What sets these pests apart is their preference to live with humans rather than out in the wild. This is because homes are generally more comfortable and offer easy access to tasty foods. Rodents find food in many ways. Your trashcan is like a buffet, the pizza crust forgotten under your sofa is a mid-day meal, even your decorative flowers are a quick bite for hungry rodents. Shelter and water are even easier for these pests to find. To reduce attractants around your property, here are nine simple tips we recommend.
- Eliminate clutter and debris around your property.
- Organize storage areas.
- Make sure your gutters are in good working order.
- Fix leaky piping and faucets in and around your home.
- Pick up fruit as it falls from trees onto your property.
- Thoroughly clean your home at least once a week.
- Be careful not to leave food out on counter tops.
- Repackage food stored in plastic bags or cardboard boxes into rodent-proof containers.
- Pick up and clean out your pet’s food and water bowls each night before going to bed.
How Rodents Get Inside
A mouse can squeeze through a hole the size of a nickel, and rats only need a bit more space to fit. To seal the exterior of your home, try these simple exclusion tips.
- Fill in small gaps and cracks around your home’s exterior foundation using a caulking gun and some steel or copper wool.
- Repair damage to window and door screens.
- Make sure your windows and doors are correctly fitted.
- Fix any damage and seal openings along your home’s roof line.
- Address damaged shingles and siding.
- The Best Way To Eliminate And Prevent Rodents
If you would like to avoid the hassle of preventing rodents on your own, we have a solution for you at Smith’s Gopher Trapping Services. Our team uses only the most advanced exclusion and eliminating methods when dealing with invasive pests.
Contact us via phone or through our website to learn more about our rodent control and schedule an appointment for your San Francisco Bay Area property.