You probably know what a yellow jacket is and what it looks like but, if you don’t, they’re those little, fat, yellow and black wasps that tend to appear low to the ground. The reason you’re likely to find them near the ground is that they often establish nests in the ground. As experts in gopher trapping, the team here at Smith’s Pest Management has seen, and helps customers get rid of yellow jackets a lot. Yellow jackets love to create nests in the holes and tunnels ground-dwelling animals make. Here is some advice from our experts to help you decide what to do if you spot a yellow jacket nest on your San Francisco Bay property.
How To Assess The Problem
The first step in solving a problem is to recognize that it does exist. There are many wasps, hornets, and bees that can appear in your yard. You can run into them quite a bit. As you do, you may start to think that they won’t bother you if you don’t bother them. But many of these insects act differently when you’re near their nest. They have a nest-protection instinct that causes them to swarm and attack. Here are a few things you should understand about yellow jackets.
- Like other stinging insects, yellow jackets will probably leave you alone when you leave them alone, as long as they are away from their nest.
- Yellow jackets are very aggressive when they sense an animal or human near their nest. They will release a pheromone that excites the other wasps in their nest, and they will gather together and attack.
- A yellow jackets’ nest that is in the ground can be disturbed by vibrations. If you go near a ground nest with a lawn mower, you’re likely to regret it.
- It is often difficult to detect a yellow jacket nest. The only sign you may get is the appearance of a few yellow jackets around the base of a bush. This could be yellow jackets that are away from their nest in search of nectar or sources of protein. If so, they probably won’t be much of a threat to you. But, if there is a nest hidden in a ground hole under that bush, then you’ll be in trouble.
When Yellow Jackets Attack:
- A yellow jacket does not have a barb on its stinger. It can plunge that stinger into your skin several times. This can result in several stings from only a few yellow jackets.
- A yellow jacket can chase you for quite a distance, even going around obstacles to get to you.
- A yellow jacket’s aggression is likely to outlast your ability to hold your breath. You should never jump in a pond or pool to get away from these insects.
A Plan Of Action
There are many tips on the internet for dealing with yellow jackets. These range in effectiveness. While you can deal with these pests on your own, there are some pitfalls you should be aware of. The first is obvious: you can get stung. But, putting that obvious pitfall aside, here are some ways your DIY yellow jacket control could fail.
- Over-the-counter sprays are topical and will only eliminate guard wasps. These products won’t get deep into the ground and eliminate the entire population of the nest.
- There are many things you can put into a yellow jacket hole to destroy a nest. Some of them can be harmful to you, your kids, your pets, and other animals that explore your yard. It is important to use the right products.
- Some of the things people put into holes are downright dangerous. We do not recommend gasoline.
- You may consider pouring boiling water into a hole. This can kill the wasps and destroy the nest, but you’re likely to get stung or burned while doing this. And this method won’t work with difficult-to-treat openings.
The Best Solution
It pays to have a trained, equipped, and experienced pest management professional deal with a yellow jacket problem. A professional can address difficult nests and apply control methods in a way that will not present a danger to you, your family, or your neighbors.
If you live in the San Francisco Bay area, reach out to Smith’s Pest Management. We can properly assess your yellow jacket problem, determine the correct product to administer, and apply them according to all safety regulations. There is no better way to get rid of yellow jackets and remove this threat from your San Francisco Bay property. Reach out to us today to get a quote for services or to schedule a visit from one of our friendly and knowledgeable professionals. We’re here to help.